They are such sweet little animals. They are actually related to the anteater.
Here is a recipe for armadillo eggs.
- 24 jalapeno peppers
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 (16 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
- Cut a slit in each jalapeno pepper. Remove and discard seeds and pulp.
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage, baking mix, Cheddar cheese, crushed red pepper, and garlic salt.
- Stuff jalapenos with the Monterey Jack cheese cubes. Shape sausage mixture around the jalapenos to form balls.
- Arrange jalapeno balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.