Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Teacher Moment

I teach writing on the side. Over the past five years I have taught over five thousand students. I can count on one hand the number who have gone on to finish and publish a book. I am pleased today to tell you about one of those students.

When Rita first took my class she was a rank beginner. She knew nothing about writing, but she had the dedication and determination to get in there and learn as much as she could. At the end of the six weeks class, I was stunned by her progress.

But Rita didn't stop there. She kept learning and kept revising the book. She sold to Harlequin Carina Press only three years after she took that first writing class. I know it feels like a long time to Rita, but that is amazing progress. I am so proud of her.

I have Rits'a permission to share her cover and blurb with you. Under Fire comes out in August. Watch for it please and support this budding debut author. Rita also recently got exciting news that Audible picked Under Fire up for an audio book.



Coast Guard helicopter pilot Olivia Carver is on a very personal mission. Her twin brother, an undercover officer, was murdered by a drug cartel and she won't stop until she finds the man responsible for his death.

In the course of her own investigation, Olivia meets informant Rico Cortes. He's mysterious and sexy and despite her reservations, the two share a night of passion. But Rico turns out to be more than a one-night stand. He's a DEA agent, deep undercover in Miami's drug world, and possibly the one man who can help Olivia find the justice she seeks.

When Rico realizes his cover is blown, he isn't sure whether it was someone in the cartel or an inside agent. Olivia is the only one he can trust and together they venture on a dangerous, rogue mission to infiltrate a drug lord's inner circle...with Olivia as bait.

19 comments:

  1. Rita, Congratulations on becoming a published author! I really liked the cover and the blurb and have already added it to my TBR list.

    Lori, Congratulations for your proud teacher moment!

    Well done, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Rita on her forthcoming release! To Lori, as well, it must be one of the best things about being a writing teacher.

    UNDER FIRE looks like just the thing to pick up for a summer read. Action? Check. Romance? Check? I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGolly. Thank you Lori. That red glow coming from the direction of Florida isn’t the fires, it’s me blushing. I really would not be a published author without your help.
    So everyone knows, I took the class twice. I’m hard headed and slow to come to the party, but when I get there watch out. When the class started Lori asked us to tell the plot of the story we wanted to write. Ehhh you need a plot? Well, The Guardian (Coast Guard story) was on HBO and a Coast Guard helicopter was flying over the house lower than normal. That’s how it began. Gawd, but Lori has patience. She also is understanding and has a love for writing romance.
    Lori I’ve taken a few writing classes and hands down you are the best teacher I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Rita and you Lori... A job well done to both of you.
    Good luck Rita with futher endevours in your writing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Rita and Lori!! I love that cover and the blurb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here's another one of the students I can count on one hand. Virna DePaul. The minte I read her work I knew she was gong to hit and hit big.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met Virna at a writers retreat and she told me the plot of one story and wow! Plus she is a very nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, I can't wait to read this. August 22 can't get here fast enough. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Rita. It's exactly the kind of book I like! Lori was obviously an excellent teacher. And that cover is hot:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita, the book looks great! And the cover, well, it's pretty awesome, too. ;) Can't wait to read it.

    Lori, it must feel wonderful to have mentored students over the years. Even if they're not all published, I'm sure they gained a lot from the class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Rita! The book sounds awesome, and right there with you on Lori's teaching prowess. She's amazing and a bottomless fountain of patience and encouragement.

    Can't wait for the release!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having been with Rita since that class and having taken it twice with her I know how hard she's worked and how dedicated she is. When the story began Olivia was "Jake" and my late husband and I fell in love with the story. Can't wait to read the finished product. I agree with Rita. Lori is the best and most caring teacher I've ever had.
    Congratulations to you both.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awsome cover. Great blurb. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats, Rita, on the soon-to-be-here book! I love the title and the cover! Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to read this, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo, Rita, so excited for you! Love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rita is awesome! I cannot wait to read this book! Woot!
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats Rita! I will be looking out for this book as a birthday present for me! :) My Birthday is the 21st of August! .... And Lori Job Well Done! :)

    Definitely a book that interest me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to Rita, and I have to say that Lori is a great teacher. I took her online course and found her to be encouraging and informative. Thanks Lori and I'm still writing.

    ReplyDelete