Monday, June 13, 2011

Romance versus Love Story

Watched the RWA president Dorien Kelly on the food network last night judging cakes fit for a romance novel cover. One contestant had a tragic love story for her cake. I knew she wasn't going to win the minute she said what her cake's story was all about. If it doesn't have a happy ending, it's not a romance, folks. It might be a love story, but it's not a romance.

Anyway, Dorien rocked it and I was so proud and happy to be part of the Romance Writers of America. They're replaying the show tonight on the Food Network if you get that channel. I'm sure it will eventually turn up on YouTube if you don't.

So one last time:

Love ends badly = not a romance.


Love ends with happiness = romance.




I reiterate the point because students in my beginning romance writing class are as shocked to learn this as the contestant who--although she made a beautiful cake--didn't get the point of the competition.

The contestant who did win not only got the point of the contest, but this person had a theme and stuck to it. Moral of the story, when you're on a TV challenge stick to the rules and have an appropriate theme. And, if you're writing a romance, don't kill off the love interest.

So what is your favorite? Tragic love stories or happily-ever-after romances?

9 comments:

  1. Dear Lori,

    Please come up with a way to fuse them together so we don't have to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no way to fuse them. If the love interest dies it is a tragedy. It will never be a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that FoodNetwork Challenge! It was a lot of fun and it was very interesting -- from a romance writing point of view -- to see how cake makers interpreted the whole Romance Novel concept. I am a total Happily Ever After fan in romance books. If I wanted saddness, death, "reality," crushed hopes and dreams, or never-to-be-together, I could watch the news or just turn to real life.

    I want escapism and happiness and that "Awwww!" factor when I finish a book and close it, so that's totally a Happily Ever After requirement.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless, it's a paranormal and the dead love interest comes back to life at the end or both love interests turn up dead together and are happy in vampire/zombie/whatever paranormal entity land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once did a for-fun short story where the heroine falls in love with the hero (who is a ghost) only to have someone else die in the story and the ghost take over his body so the hero and heroine end up together. LOL.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEA works for me! Missed the challenge last night, but will try for tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love happy ever afters. They are the best kind of love stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romance every time...It's not the destination, it's the journey there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happily-ever after romances. I enjoy (tragic) love stories as well, but not as much as a satisfying romance.

    I want a romance to have it all, joy, sadness, love, wonder, everything. At the end of the day, when I am left emotionally exhausted (in a good way), when I have shed some tears, laughed some, and celebrated the triumps with the characters...then I know I have read a good..no GREAT romance. The journey counts! With romance authors, I trust them to leave the characters in a good, happy place.

    Lori, I found this in your Twilight, Texas series and I look forward to more of your romances (both old and new).

    ReplyDelete