Sunday, August 21, 2011

Just for Fun

HOW TO PICK YOUR ROMANCE NOVELIST PEN NAME.



I ran across this somewhere and thought it was fun to share. Now, I didn't use this when I was picking my pen name. Lori Wilde was bestowed upon me by Birgit Davis-Todd from Harlequin. My real first name is Laurie, but apparently Laurie is too old-fashioned. "Lori," I was told, "is hipper."

Then I learned that Lori was one of the top 5 names of playboy playmates, so how could I argue with that for hipness? (I still like Laurie better, but even my husband calls me Lori now.)


Anyway, here's how to pick your romance novelist pen name. For your first name, take the name of your first pet. Mine was gray dachsund named Smokey.

For the last name take the name of the street where you lived when you were born. For me, that was Vine Street.

So instead of Lori Wilde, I would be Smokey Vine. Hmm, that sounds like a Rastafarian name to me. LOL. Maybe I should send Birgit a thank you letter for Lori Wilde.


(I also heard another version of this where you pick your maternal grandmother's first name and the street you live on now. In that case, I'd be Glenna Valley. Lori Wilde is still winning.)

So how about you? Given either perimeter, what would be your romance novelist pen name?

16 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I dont think I know the name of the street we were living on when I was born. But I think I'd be Fluffy Tulane.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be Tina Lewis or Lydia Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you will always be Laurie to me unless we are at a conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny. I spent my whole childhood telling people, "it's La-urie" not "Lor-i" And then it turns out, it is Lor-i.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe - I'd be Genesis Birkshire (which actually isn't bad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny!

    I'm a silly teacher. I thought Laura Ingalls Wilder was your favorite author as a child and your name was Lori. So, you tweaked the name a bit.

    I'm Penny Seldon or Viola Miller. I could go as Kat Hood, but that sounds more like an Iron Chef, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat,

    Laura Ingalls Wilder was one of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say Lori Wilde does have a nice ring to it. It was a catchy name when i picked up Licensed to Thrill many years ago. Great book for those of you who haven't read it!

    Mine name would be Daisy First, Dalra First or Cleo First. Not very catchy! If we went the other way, mine with be Wilma Lyra. I think that is definitely not working either. Thanks heavens I just read!!! I hope you are having a great weekend! Debi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine would be Bowie Seaforth, or Jean McBean. Now that's hilarious. I think I'd better keep searching...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine would be Pepper Ardmore or Catherine "Katie" St. Regis. *snicker*

    Pen names. {{{{shakes fist}}} The bane of my existence. The one I do like everybody tells me is boooooring. They like my real name better. "It just sounds like an author name." But to me it's so blah. Plus there are way too many Harringtons on the shelves already, one of which is a Kathleen, which is my mom's name.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lady Birch... OMG that sounds like a Madame's name from a house of ilrepute...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah...Lori Wilde sounds much better!
    I would be Blackie Burger...sounds like a BAD chef! Or...(gasp) Maude Lane (rather maudlin!)
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, I hope you'll forgive the crosstalk.

    Julie, what name do you write under?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what street we lived on but my first name would be Lieutenant -- so I don't think that's going to work too well. LOL. Maybe I just just stick with Lori. Lori Valiant (where I live now) or Lori Kingsley (where I grew up). Or I can go back to the version I was born with Valori - Valori Valiant?

    ReplyDelete