with spaghetti squash. I can't believe it took me until the mid-point of my life to discover this amazing vegetable. I have low carb cooking to thank for opening my eyes. Honestly, I think it tastes better than pasta. The only problem is getting access to that spaghetti like goodness inside this lovely gourd.
You can nuke it, but you better poke deep holes in it if you don't want an explosion. You can put it in the slow cooker and let 'er rip. You can try to cut it in half and bake it for 30-40 minutes, but you better have a sharp knife. You can bake it whole, but that takes an hour. Or you can boil it, but you need a pot big enough to cover the squash.
Here's a delicious recipe I made last night.
I got the recipe from http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/global-flavors/spaghetti-squash-chicken-parmesan.aspx
prep time:20 min
start to finish:1 hr 45 min
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lb), cut in half
1/2 cup rice flour, Gold Medal® unbleached or Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3/4 cups spaghetti sauce
1. Place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish and pierce in several places with fork. Pour buttermilk over chicken, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Place squash, cut sides up, in microwaveable dish. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on High 25 minutes or until fork-tender. Using a fork, scrape flesh from squash. Keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.
4. In shallow dish, combine flour, 1/4 cup of cheese, and the garlic powder. Remove chicken from buttermilk, reserving buttermilk. Coat both sides of chicken with the flour mixture; dip in reserved buttermilk. Coat chicken again with flour mixture. Place in sprayed baking dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce onto each chicken breast and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°F and the juices run clear.
6. Meanwhile, heat remaining spaghetti sauce in medium saucepan over medium heat. Serve with the chicken and spaghetti squash.
( ); g ( g, g); mg; mg; g ( g, g); g %; %; %; % ; ; ;
Do you have any new food finds? Tell me about them.