Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm madly in love...

with spaghetti squash. I can't believe it took me until the mid-point of my life to discover this amazing vegetable. I have low carb cooking to thank for opening my eyes. Honestly, I think it tastes better than pasta. The only problem is getting access to that spaghetti like goodness inside this lovely gourd.


You can nuke it, but you better poke deep holes in it if you don't want an explosion. You can put it in the slow cooker and let 'er rip. You can try to cut it in half and bake it for 30-40 minutes, but you better have a sharp knife. You can bake it whole, but that takes an hour. Or you can boil it, but you need a pot big enough to cover the squash.

Here's a delicious recipe I made last night.


I got the recipe from http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/global-flavors/spaghetti-squash-chicken-parmesan.aspx



prep time:20 min
start to finish:1 hr 45 min
makes:4 servings
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lb), cut in half
1/2 cup rice flour, Gold Medal® unbleached or Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3/4 cups spaghetti sauce

1. Place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish and pierce in several places with fork. Pour buttermilk over chicken, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

2. Place squash, cut sides up, in microwaveable dish. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on High 25 minutes or until fork-tender. Using a fork, scrape flesh from squash. Keep warm.

3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.

4. In shallow dish, combine flour, 1/4 cup of cheese, and the garlic powder. Remove chicken from buttermilk, reserving buttermilk. Coat both sides of chicken with the flour mixture; dip in reserved buttermilk. Coat chicken again with flour mixture. Place in sprayed baking dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce onto each chicken breast and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

5. Bake 25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°F and the juices run clear.

6. Meanwhile, heat remaining spaghetti sauce in medium saucepan over medium heat. Serve with the chicken and spaghetti squash.

1 Serving: Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol75mg; Sodium 810mg; Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 20g); Protein 32Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 25%; Iron 15Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch2 Other Carbohydrate0Vegetable3 1/2 Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 3



Do you have any new food finds? Tell me about them.



5 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I love zucchinis and lately have been craving for some lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried a spaghetti squash before or even seen it in my grocery store. I'm going to have to see the next time I'm in there. Your meal sounds delicious. I love chicken parmesana!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a horrible find because it's just delicious and sinfully good and something to be used in moderation but... oh my gosh, Biscoff Spread. It's a non-nut alternative to peanut butter made from the famous Biscoff cookie. It's 57% Biscoff cookie, creamy and smooth kind of like peanut butter. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives and, I believe, it's Vegan. I just found a jar at my local grocery store and it's really, really good.

    Oh, and I've also discovered Persian Cucumbers. They're not as thick-skinned (greasy) as the traditional cucumber, way smaller seeds (since its a tiny little cute cucumber), sweeter, higher moisture content, and just fabulous.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have grown and enjoyed spaghetti squash for years.
    This recipe looks good. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother in law just told me about this. Not sure if I would like it though.

    Stacy S

    ReplyDelete